Mga Pahina

Lunes, Marso 10, 2014

Life is So Short

We read in Psalm 90:12, "Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." Of all human resources, time is what we equally have, and many consider it more precious than money. Money can be replaced, but not time. 



I am reading right now the section on capital formation in Murray N. Rothbard's "Man, Economy, and State." While reading, I could not avoid thinking about the shortness of life. And so I am reminded of that verse in Psalm about the relationship between counting our days and gaining a heart of wisdom. Interpreting the verse literally or "economically," I see my life as a kind of "capital" that is limited. On average, I have only 25,550 days here on earth. Now that I am 47, I already spent 2/3 of my resources, 17, 155 days. So I only have 8,395 days remaining in my life. The question is, how shall I spend them? 

A more important question than the way to spend my life is the end of counting my days. The psalmist says, "that we may gain a heart of wisdom." Wisdom in the Bible starts in the fear of the Lord, and I think counting days is one expression of such fear leading us to gain a heart of wisdom. It is interesting here that having a heart of wisdom is considered a gain, another economic expression.

Since the day I arrived here in South Korea, I literally count each day particularly during my first year of stay. Days here are so fast. A year here to me seems like a month. What I appreciate the most in my work here as a missionary is the free time I have, which I can use in reading and writing. And I think my question has already been answered; I found a way to spend the remaining days of my life.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento